Uncategorized

Indian COVID-19 deaths surpass a quarter million as scientists race to trace variant – National

todayMay 12, 2021

Background
share close


India said on Wednesday a record number of people were killed by the coronavirus in the past 24 hours, pushing its overall death toll over a quarter million, while a leading virologist said it was too early to say if infections had reached a peak.

Deaths from COVID-19 swelled by 4,205, while daily coronavirus cases rose by 348,421, with India’s overall number of cases surging past 23 million, according to health ministry data. Even then, experts believe the official numbers grossly underestimate the real scale of the epidemic’s impact, and actual deaths and infections could be five to ten times higher.

India’s COVID-19 infection curve may be showing early signs of flattening, but the decline in the number of new infections is likely to be slow, said Shahid Jameel, a top Indian virologist.

“It is still too early to say whether we have reached the peak,” he was quoted as saying by the Indian Express newspaper. “There is some indication of the cases plateauing. But we must not forget that this is a very high plateau. We seem to be plateauing around 400,000 cases a day.”

Story continues below advertisement

Read more:
Rare but deadly ‘black fungus’ adds to India’s COVID-19 struggle

India, with a population of 1.4 billion people, currently accounts for one in three of the reported deaths from coronavirus around the world, according to a Reuters tally, overwhelming hospital and medical staff, as well as mortuaries and crematoriums. Drugs and medical oxygen are in short supply.

The brutal second wave of COVID-19 infections has spread from the cities to small towns and the countryside, ripping through a fragile health system ill-equipped for a crisis of this scale.

Rural parts of India are also running short of wood for traditional Hindu cremations and scores of bodies are washing up on the banks of the Ganges river which flows through the most populous areas of the northern plains.


Click to play video: 'WHO classifies COVID-19 variant first identified in India as being of global concern'



WHO classifies COVID-19 variant first identified in India as being of global concern


WHO classifies COVID-19 variant first identified in India as being of global concern

Akhand Pratap, a resident of Ghazipur district in sprawling Uttar Pradesh state, said that “people are immersing bodies in the holy Ganges river instead of cremation because of shortage of cremation wood”.

Story continues below advertisement

Even in the capital, New Delhi, many COVID victims are abandoned by their relatives after cremation, leaving volunteers to wash the ashes, pray over them, and then take them to scatter into the river, rituals usually conducted by the family.

In a report published Wednesday, the World Health Organization said the B.1.617 variant first identified in India had been detected in at least 44 countries so far. The global health body has classified it as a “variant of concern” that requires heightened tracking and analysis.

Indian scientists say their work to detect the variant at home has been hindered by bureaucratic obstacles and the government’s reluctance to share vital data. India is sequencing around 1% of its total cases, and not all of the results are uploaded to the global database of coronavirus genomes.

Read more:
‘Trying our best’: Tragedy grips small-town hospital in India amid COVID-19 crisis

Indian health officials have cautioned that it is too soon to attribute the nation’s surge solely to such variants. Experts point out that the spread was catalyzed by government decisions to not pause religious gatherings and crowded election rallies.

Vaccines are also running short, especially in Maharashtra state around the financial centre of Mumbai, and in the capital, Delhi, two of India’s hardest-hit regions.

India’s second wave of the pandemic has increased calls for a nationwide lockdown and prompted more and more states to impose tougher restrictions that have hurt businesses and the wider economy.

Story continues below advertisement

(Reporting by Anuron Kumar Mitra and Manas Mishra in Bengaluru, Tanvi Mehta in New Delhi; Writing by Raju Gopalakrishnan; Editing by Simon Cameron-Moore)






Source link

Written by: admin

Rate it

Previous post

Uncategorized

Egypt announces plans to expand Suez Canal where massive cargo ship got stuck – National

Egypt on Tuesday announced plans to widen and deepen the southern part of the Suez Canal where a hulking vessel ran aground and closed off the crucial waterway in March.The head of the Suez Canal Authority, Lt. Gen. Osama Rabie, announced details of the plan in a televised ceremony in the canal’s city of Ismailia. Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi and top government officials attended the ceremony. Read more: Ship stuck […]

todayMay 12, 2021


Similar posts

Post comments (0)

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

0%